Saturday, August 31, 2013

Hangzhou: The City of Coffee

I'm not a big coffee drinker. When I asked Peter Pan on my 23rd birthday how I can stop growing up he said three things:

1. Never read the newspaper--it's too boring
2. Never grow a moustache--only pirates have moustaches
3. Never drink coffee--if it starts to taste good, it means you're growing up too fast

Well let's just say that no one in China ever asked Peter's advice because there are coffee shops everywhere. EVERYWHERE, I tell you!

Last night was my first day in Hangzhou and after dinner, Gio, Miaomiao, and I went to Gulu Coffee down the street from my temporary apartment. It had a really cute whimsical feel to it with paintings of cats, mice, and owls eating sweets and cakes (which they also sold, reminding me of oh- so many dramas) and it was so nice to just sit back and drink in the fact that I was sitting next to my freshman roommate, living in China (you just can't keep us away from each other)!!


If China knows how to do one thing, it is coffee shops.

Today I finally (I say finally like I've been in Hangzhou more than 36 hours...) got to go to the semi-famous Central Perk coffee shop. For those of you who lived off of the shows Friends in the '90s, this name might sound just a tiny bit familiar with the good coffee and over stuffed orange sofa. Well apparently, someone in China decided to recreate it complete with said orange couch (and blue/green chair off to the side, mind you)!!

Yes, Hangzhou has a Central Perk... Be jealous of me--it's okay!!

It was such a fun, laid back atmosphere and they had a big screen TV playing episodes of Friends. If that isn't perfection (and a lack of copyright laws), then I don't know what is!! I was not a hardcore fan of Friends-- of course I watched it whenever it was on TV (if you didn't I think the '90s disowned you or something like that)--but I could not help but thoroughly love and appreciate this cafe. Rest assured, I shall return (even if the drinks were a bit over-priced).

As if I haven't had enough coffee in the last 24 hours (maybe that was the reason why I barely slept last night and why I am still up after midnight right now), Miaomiao came to my apartment and she decided to take me to an equally awesome cafe about a 15 minute walk away called andloft (I'm not even going to begin to try what that one means). It is next to (what I assume was) a library and there is this whole literary feel to the area with a arched walkway covered in larger than life newspaper articles and rows of bookshelves. There were sofas, armchairs, dim lamps, and blankets all around and I loved it.


Not sure if you noticed--but I got the same thing every time (a latte). They're super sweet and don't taste too much like coffee so I don't feel like I've broken my promise to Peter (but just in case, don't mention this post to him). That being said, if there is one thing that might make me more of a coffee drinker than a tea drinker, it will be the cafes of Hangzhou.

Until Next Time,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment