Friday, August 30, 2013

Back in China



Originally written 8/29/13


What a long day it has been!! After that less than ideal fright with Delta cancelling my original flight, I am relieved to say that there were no more bumps in the road and I am now sitting in my temporary apartment (more on that to come).

I won’t go into the teary goodbye too much but I am proud to say that I don’t think the Woomers made a scene at the airport (“Ten points to Slytherin!”). I put on my classic soldier face and marched my way through security. It wasn’t until the plane was taxiing down the jet way that I think I started to panic.

For those of you who know the Buffalo area, you know there is a really big, really obnoxious blue water tower. For as long as I can remember that thing has been there and as I caught sight of it for the last time, I found myself praying that it would still be up when I returned home. A strange thing to think about as I am leaving but it made my stomach drop and suddenly burst to life with butterflies. But all I could think of was what my mom told me the first time I went to live in another country for the first time:

“If you didn’t have butterflies, you couldn’t call it an adventure!”

Those words have helped me through so many tough (but ultimately exciting and life changing) times and I embrace those butterflies every time they decide to pop up. So I sat back and as the wheels of the plane left the ground of good ol’ Buffalo, I knew there was no turning back and that it was time to GO ON AN ADVENTURE!!

Now, I can say this first hand—flying to China can be a bit intimidating. The first time I came over here last December, I was one of five foreigners—the rest of them all being older businessmen who sat in (you guessed it) business class. It was a bit scary, feeling like you were the bizarre outsider, different from everyone else around you, and really unable to communicate (it really stinks when you have a window seat and you just really have to go to the bathroom). Luckily (and looking back, I should say “obviously”), a lot more Americans travel to China in August than they do December. Everywhere you turned there were other foreigners sitting around you and, even though you never necessarily communicate with them, it’s just a relief to know that they’re there.

Originally, I had chosen a specific seat on the flight—the end of the second section right in front of the bathroom with no one behind me and I only shared the row with one other person. Well that person was quite fortunate when I didn’t show up to that flight—they got the whole row to themselves, the lucky dog! And while I was a bit bitter that I didn’t get the seat that I was really excited about,  I did still have my beloved window seat and I had a very nice flight.

I sat next to a lovely Chinese couple. The wife thought that I was Chinese which resulted in her husband just laughing at her and then they were determined to teach me a few words and phrases (from the looks on their faces, my tones have not improved). They seemed excited that I was moving to Hangzhou to teach English and they had all the faith in the world that I would enjoy it and be a very good teacher. Their friendliness definitely helped to settle the butterflies in my tummy just enough so I could sleep.

I slept for SIX HOURS.

I don’t think I have slept that long on a plane ever! I watched two movies (“Perks of Being a Wallflower” and “Rise of the Guardians”) and then slept for two hours, watched another movie (“Les Miserables” and an attempt at “Sherlock Holmes”) and then fell asleep for another four hours. When I looked down at my watch and saw that there was only an hour and a half until we landed, I was so excited but then it dawned on me that I only had a little over an hour before I had to start being responsible again. No pressure.

I’ve looked at this endeavor as a series of obstacles (Visa, packing, flights, unpacking, teaching, etc.) and one of the ones I was the most nervous about was actually having someone to pick me up from the Pudong Airport. They had originally scheduled someone to pick me up on the 28th at 2:50pm, I could only hope that they got my email telling them about my flight change. Luckily, they did and a little old man (who didn’t speak a word of English) was there with a sign that said Amanda on it. 
Obstacle: Cleared.


As soon as I got in the car, all my nerves seemed to vanish and were replaced with surreal excitement. I was really in China, driving towards Hangzhou to start my teaching career. Any fear I felt was wiped away with the exciting unknown that waited for me!

It was about a three hour ride from the Pudong Airport (the driver got lost in the parking garage which made me love him right away… I’m not the only one that can’t find my way out of those stupid things) to downtown Hangzhou (passed by Wu Mart, China Mobile, and the lovely Korean BBQ place Rachel, Olivia, and I went to for Christmas dinner and it made me super excited).
Now you might be wondering (or you might not), ‘Amanda, I thought you weren’t living in downtown Hangzhou--I thought you were living at the actual university.’ And you would be right. Apparently, there is no hot water in our official apartments just yet (among other things, I suspect) so right now we are staked out at the Fine Arts School for (hopefully only) a day or two. I’ve been told that tomorrow (Friday), we’ll be able to move in which is good because I am itching to unpack and decorate my new apartment (even if it is going to be super tiny).*Update as of Friday night: No such luck*

Around 7 o’clock at night, we pulled into the Fine Arts campus and Miaomiao came running out. (For those of you who have not had the pleasure of meeting her) Miaomiao was one of my foreign exchange roommates in college. I had two from China (Yexi and Miaomiao) and two from Japan (Yuri and Chisako) but Miaomiao and I became the closest--she came home with me, celebrated Easter with my family, visited my grandfather in the hospital, and became such a wonderful addition to our family. In December, I came to China in order to be a bridesmaid in her wedding and now, here we are, four years later, living in the exact same city. I just love life sometimes!

Miaomiao and Cindy, the secretary for the School of Foreign Languages, showed me my room and I basically threw my suitcases down and we turned around, grabbed another foreign teacher, Gio, and we went out to dinner.

Cindy left and the rest of us went back up to my room where we looked over our class schedules and textbooks. Being exhausted and overwhelmed, we decided that enough thinking had been done and we went out for late night coffee. We found a cute little cafĂ© called “Gulu Coffee” and just sat around talking and getting to know one another.

Cindy told us that there are four foreign teachers and I am hoping she means four new ones because that just does not seem like a lot to me (of course, I am comparing it to when Rachel was teaching here and there seemed to be a nice amount of foreign teachers working for HNU).

I’m hoping that by the time the weekend has passed, I will be all unpacked, settled in, getting to know the other foreign teachers, and acquainting myself with the new city I will call home for the next year.

Until Next Time,
Amanda
 

No comments:

Post a Comment