Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Thankful in Hangzhou

Having dormed in college, there have been many holidays that I haven't celebrated at home with my family over the years. The two biggest ones in the past were Halloween and even Christmas. Halloween, while it was tragic to not be home for the annual epic Swartz party, it was last year for Christmas, that I started to feel my life shift. I was traveling (in China) for Christmas last year and so I was unable to celebrate the holiday with my family. Luckily, Rachel and Olivia were around to have a tree, exchange gifts, eat dinner, and just celebrate with. This year, the changes are continuing and the list of missed holidays is growing longer with Thanksgiving.

I admit, it did not feel like Thanksgivings past. In some ways, that is sad and disappointing, but in so many ways, it was wonderful.

To me, Thanksgiving is one of the holidays that I love the most--no need to buy presents or impress anyone. You gather together with the people that you love and you reflect on your life and your blessings, acknowledging and appreciating everything that you have in this life. All my life, I have celebrated this day with my family--whether it was the Woomers, spending the morning helping Papa at the Salvation Army and then turkey sandwiches with Gramma Aw or with the Gullos where the Italians take over and cook a huge feast that no one can dream of finishing. No matter what, I have always been with my family. This year was the first year that I did not watch the Thanksgiving Day parade with my parents or brother. For much of the day, it did not feel like Thanksgiving (I worked until almost 5 o'clock) but I have to say--it will certainly be a memorable one and it ended up being great.

In class, I did get a pleasant surprise from one of my favorite students, Gloria. After class on Thursday, she came up to me and handed me a postcard. She said that since it was my first Thanksgiving away from home and my family, she wanted to make sure I knew how thankful she was for me. I also got several WeChat messages and texts from various students and friends.



After a day of classes where I briefly taught them about the pilgrims and what we do on Thanksgiving now and a quick Skype call back home (introduced Adam to the little family), Adam, one of the other foreign teachers, Gio, and myself headed downtown for our Thanksgiving dinner.

One of the fun things about living in China with other foreigners is that when we see each other (especially for holidays), it really does feel like a small, crazy family. So many of the people that I have met have opened up their arms and their homes to me and welcomed me into their close knit group as one of their own. I love spending time with them and we always manage to have a good time. Another perk to living in China (especially during holidays) is the chance to introduce your culture to the Chinese friends and students in your life. When we walked into the apartment where the festivities were taking place, there were more Chinese friends than foreign friends!




We got to introduce them to different foods (like mashed potatoes, stuffing, molasses cookies, apple pie, and hot apple cider AKA: almost all of my favorite foods). We even managed to have our own version of a turkey dinner (which technically was just a chicken).




I was able to chat with some of the students who come to studies, I met some new Chinese friends as well as other foreigners living in Hangzhou, and spend some time with the people who have come to be a part of my life here in China. We laughed, we talked about our Spring Festival plans, learned some Chinese, ate our fill in carbs, chicken, and cider (seriously, there is almost NOTHING I love more in the world than that), and actually spent a classic Thanksgiving evening together with friends and a makeshift family. I even got to try apple pie for the first time (at Adam's demand request)!



Adam and my departure coincided perfectly with the start of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in NYC (yay technology!) so we even got to watch that. It felt a little strange--like Thanksgiving was backwards or something; but it was wonderful--I got to talk to my family (and my cat!), I had a delicious dinner surrounded by people that I care about, and I even got to watch the Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Even though it is a few days late, I know it is customary to think of the different things that you are thankful for on Thanksgiving (and around this time of year in general).

1. My family. Duh. I know that we are closer than most families out there and, if I am honest with my self, I love that. Whether it is my brother, my cousins, or my parents, I know that I can email them, call or text them and it will be as though we are sitting next to each other and not separated by thousands of miles, an ocean, and on completely different continents. They supported me in this crazy decision to come to China. They were sad to see me go but they knew that this was what I wanted and what would make me happy and, because of that, they were happy too. My mom, my dad, my brother, Jed, Aunt Sue, Uncle Tony, Phil (and Chanel), Ca, and Ash--you all mean the world to me... I miss you bunches and cannot wait until we can celebrate together again. Oh yeah... Squijum too. {For those of you who have never had the pleasure of meeting her, Squijum is my cat}

2. My friends. It is thanks to you guys that I have not lost my mind with homesickness just yet. Seeing you on Facebook or Instagram or in emails is so wonderful (again, thanks technology). With each and every one of you, it is not "out of sight, out of mind." I still feel a part of everything with you--whether it is Hart Hall and Oswego or Ghostlight shows, or just simply goings on in Buffalo or Oswego... I love it! Life is crazy for all of us but it is still so great to know that no matter how long time goes by or the amount of distance, some things never change. The biggest shout out to Rachel Jewell who has been my support system prior to coming over here and ever since I arrived. Answering questions, offering advice, you have done so much to help me and I count you among my dearest friends. And of course, the new friends that I have made over in China--"Kids with Sass" and our little Cangqian gang. I am so happy to have you guys as a part of my China adventure!

3. China. This place has changed my life so much and I am forever grateful for it. Just a few days ago, marked my three month point of living in China; I almost never thought that day would come--it just seemed so far away! But here I am now, almost on my last week of teaching, planning for Spring Festival, and already looking to the next semester and the next year. There are times when I want to scream at the unnecessary use of car horns or the spitting or the meandering. There are days when I don't want to even look at chop sticks and eat nothing but pizza or burgers. There are days that I enjoy lying in my bed, reading or writing and forgetting that I am in a completely foreign country... But then I stop and think to myself, I am in China. Living the adventure of a lifetime at the age of 23 with people who I can firmly call my friends and a man that I have come to care so much for...

Which brings me to:

4. Adam. I am not going to get all mushy and gush about him (we try and act like mature adults on occasion when it tickles our fancy) but I am so so SO happy that I have him in my life. It's a story that I already love telling--technically we met last year when I visited Hangzhou in December. We didn't think anything about that meeting until we were both moving into our new apartments where we saw each other and realized that we had met before. From there, the rest is history (as some would say). I feel so cherished, taken care of, and happy when I am with him. He makes me think about things, gets me talking, and has pulled me outside of my comfort zone. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that I would find someone to be with in China... It's the unexpected moments like that that make life worthwhile. A serendipitous meeting that I am so thankful for... When I am with him, I count myself among the blessed.

And that's all the lovey-dovey mush you will be getting out of me!!

Thanksgiving is over and Christmas is fast approaching (which reminds me, I need to get Christmas shopping)! I have yet to buy myself a tree but hopefully that will be fixed this weekend.

This is the time of year to reflect on the past few months and look at where you are in life... From where I stand right now, I am pretty content.

Until Next Time,
Amanda

3 WEEKS 'TIL CHRISTMAS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment