Saturday, January 4, 2014

Yuletide Celebrations Part IV

The Final Festivities

Christmas may have been over but that did not mean that celebrations over here in Hangzhou had to come to an end. With everyone having such different schedules it is difficult to plan parties prior to Christmas day which in the end made the celebration last even longer. After our Christmas for Kids in Fuyang and the big party for our students, after Christmas Eve and Christmas day, it was time for the crazy group of foreigners to have their own Christmas parties with just themselves. 

Friday night was the night that the Woomer family met head on with the foreigners in China and I would say that it was quite a success.

SIX.

A simple word that does not do much to the common wealth. No need for fear or excitement. Your pulse does not quicken, your palms do not sweat and you do not feel your throat go dry. That is... until you add a single die, a hat, a scarf, a pair of mittens, and an obnoxiously large box. Combine those all together and you have one of the most stressful, fun, violent games you could ever imagine playing in the gentle glow of a Christmas tree.


THE MISSION:
 Sit in a circle and roll the die one person at a time. Continue to do so until a six is rolled. Then, it is time to don the hat, scarf, and mittens and begin tearing apart the wrapped box like a barbarian in hopes of getting to the present that is inside... buried deep inside six boxes.


 

THE (unofficial) MISSION:
Don't let DH win.

Our SIX winner
 It was violent. It got loud. It was fun. And (most importantly) DH did not win.
 
We congratulated ourselves on a job well done, we rested our heads and I knew that the Woomer family tradition had successfully infiltrated China. 

Saturday was the end of our Christmas celebrations. 

In the evening, the ladies hopped on bikes (another blog describing that experience, soon to follow) and headed over to where the guys were camped out. It was the Hangzhou Team's Christmas party and I was just going along for the ride (and the food) ^_~

We had spiced wine, baked goods, hot chocolate, fruit, and a gift exchange. 

I went in not expecting anything and got quite the pleasant surprise. A beautifully wrapped (aka: much better than Christmas Eve) gift of Skittles, mittens, chocolate, and FROSTING was waiting for me. "To: Amamdar From: FoC"

It was so nice. I can't help but want to thank these guys at every chance I have. They never had to open themselves up to me. They never had to invite me to parties or get togethers. I am not a part of their group. I am a newbie--a nobody from Cangqian--and yet they have made me feel so welcomed and I feel like I have found a great support group and a wonderful group of friends. \



Once all the overly sweet feelings were shared and gifts were exchanged, the dance party started. From Irish dancing, to Cotton Eyed Joe (which NO ONE knows the dance to out here), and awkward middle school slow dances, I think we got our weekly exercise in.


All in all, it was a wonderful Christmas celebration. I may not have been home but I think I have found a home over here in Hangzhou with caring, wonderful people. It might be a crazy family but it's a family all the same. So from my family to yours, I hope you all had a Merry Christmas!!



Until Next Time,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment